*Disclosure: The opinions expressed are 100% my own, we were invited to the grand opening but there was no compensation for this review.
Every now and then New York City can surprise you with a new shopping experience that's inviting and relaxing, in a space where you'll discover hidden gems so good you'd want to keep them a secret from your friends. I for one am always on the look out for shops that allow me to look for unique gifts without all the hustle and bustle of being in some of the larger department stores with lil' monsters in tow.
Last month my boys and I headed to the new Teich Toys and Book store that just so happens to be across the street from Bleeker Playground, which made for a fun way to wrap up our enjoyable afternoon. The grand opening was on a perfectly, sunny Saturday in the West Village and the vintage circus themed celebration included a talented juggler, bubbles and awesome circus Tattly tattoos. As soon as you step foot in the door, you can't help but want to take a seat and a few cute pictures in front of the larger than life toy train that kids will really love to play in.
The store is perfect for kids of all ages & filled with everything from old school childhood favorites like the slinky and Chinese checkers to new, engaging products from brands that are trusted and loved, like Crayola and Green Toys. And if you're someone who's looking to give a gift that doesn't focus on the latest technology or feature bright lights and overbearing sounds you'll be really impressed with Teich's selection of toys for imaginative play, books, games, crafts and Eco-friendly goodies.
CJ and Tristan were complimented on how extremely well behaved they were by Allison, who is a mommy to an adorable 3 year old and owns both Teich Designs and Teich Toys and Books with her husband JJ McGowan. My boys refrained from running around the space while exploring, mostly because I know they were banking on the possibility of me buying them each something cool.
There were so many great choices that caught our eyes and the boys had such a hard time making a decision because there was something that catered to several of their interests. They both agreed to join forces to pick out a larger item and went along with the Green Toys Pizza Parlor. Excited doesn't begin to describe how they felt about their purchase, so much so that they wanted to skip the park and meeting their dad for lunch all together just to go home and play.
You honestly can't go wrong with any item you decide to bring home or give as a gift but the monsters and I decided to share a few of our stand-out favorites that are featured at the top of the page.
- Brightly colored plastic- free sand toys are made from corn & safe for children and the environment.
- What kid wouldn't love fun circus themed Tattly tattoos starring a ringmaster, circus monkeys, a strong man and more? A few of the grownups were seen sporting them throughout the store.
- Pretend play with a wooden cash register is a great way for kids to imagine they are ringing up their own toy sales.
- The Crumpled NYC Map was by far a favorite amongst visitors I overheard admiring all the iconic city details featured for kids and families.
- Mix and match shapes to create your own fun or scary creature combinations with monster blocks .
- Kids will have hours of fun pretending to be chefs by making their own yummy creations with the Green Toys Pizza Parlor set (our household favorite).
- Test how good your memory is while you learn more about the city that never sleeps, from it's buildings, bridges, venues and more while playing New York City Memory Challenge .
Be sure to stop by the new store location to enjoy story-time, puppet shows and other fun activities!
Teich Toys and Books
573 Hudson Street (at west 11th street)
Mon - Sat 10am -7pm and Sundays 10am - 6pm
Post a Comment